Assistant Account Executive (Full Time)
Interested candidates, please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brief Description of Role:
Working as an AAE in the account department at Walrus is the exact opposite of working as an AAE in the account department of a big agency. You will have a place at the table with the client, you will be treated as an equal by the creative department, you will be asked to use your mind, you will be given real, consequential responsibilities and you will not be one in a group of 11 all working on the exact same thing. The AAE serves as one of the key points of contact between the agency and our clients.
The ideal candidate should have strong project management, organizational, written and verbal communication skills, be able to manage their time efficiently and work independently. They should have a keen interest in all things digital, enjoy researching and digging deeper, and have a good understanding of research and campaign analysis.
This role will present the candidate with an opportunity to see the agency process across multiple facets:
+ Account Coordination: Project management, reporting into Account Supervisor and Account Director on a number of accounts, participating in the creative process, coordinating with clients and partner agencies, assisting with budget management and managing competitive and category analysis.
- One year minimum advertising agency experience
- Strong budget management and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to organize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Team player
- Great problem solving skills and detail oriented
- MAC savvy, proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree
Background: Walrus is an independent, full-service advertising and media agency with a mission to change the way the world feels about advertising. The agency's ability to make ads that people notice and love has translated into exceptional business results for clients including Amazon, AMC, Bloomberg, Condé Nast, Emergen-C (Pfizer), General Mills, HBO, PayPal, Rémy Cointreau, and Staples.
In 2018, Walrus embarked on building an internal strategy function. We had been fortunate to work with several amazing freelance strategists over the years; however, we came to realize that in order to achieve our ambition to be one of the top independent agencies in the country we had to have a Head of Strategy as part of Walrus’ core team. We were fortunate to find and hire Paul Savaiano who came to us from Taxi and before that 72andSunny.
Paul has done an incredible job building out Walrus’ strategy offering, and there is significant client demand.
A lot of agencies pay lip service to strategy, only wheeling the strategists out for pitches in order to backward engineer briefs off of existing creative executions, and to dazzle clients with process. We are true believers in the power of a tight, smart creative insight to spark great ideas. Our best work has always come from the best briefs. Help us write more of them. Help us keep our clients on track and single minded. Help us better understand our audiences and their mindsets. Help us develop unique ways to tease out those insights. Help us lead our clients who want to believe in the gospel of creativity but need the tools to prove to their bosses that they’re not crazy.
For the past two years, we’ve been building out our capabilities to give us fuller control over every aspect of the work. Strategy is an integral piece to the puzzle.
Now, we need to scale this offering. We are looking to hire a mid-level strategist to both support our Head of Strategy and work independently on both existing clients and new business.
- Support all aspects of strategy—including brand, creative and communication strategy
- Partner with account team, creative team and media team to make the work better and make the process more user-friendly, ultimately helping to develop new and different ways of working together along the way
- Write creative briefs that result in work that works—including tactical projects that just need some focus and more meaty challenges that need a point of view, creative guardrails and inspiration
- Help setup, defend and sell creative ideas in simple yet impactful ways
- Write strategic points of view with a unique voice—whether it’s an audit of what the competition is up to, an audit of secondary research or just a collection of observations that make someone else sit back and think “whoa, I never thought about things like that”
- Execute primary research (the more conventional, the better) and deliver the results in a way that brings creative teams and clients into the insights uncovered
- Embrace a company culture that breeds ingenuity, optimism, trust, collaboration and growth
- Contribute to thought-leadership pieces within and outside the agency
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 2-5 years of experience working as a strategist within a brand owner, creative agency or consultancy where creative ideas were some part of the output (an established ad agency of any size would be a plus)
- Comfortable in a collaborative setting—both in the form of workshops with clients, and internal reviews with other teams/disciplines at the agency
- Diverse background of strategic skills/projects showing that there’s familiarity with different strategic tools and a unique point of view that helped them make it their own
- High interest in building creative ideas that stand out in culture and will connect with humans who live in the real world
- Intellectually minded and relentlessly curious to learn more in life; their point of view on advertising should be informed by their point of view on other parts of their lives
- Bonus points for anyone who has an eye for design and has gotten compliments on the design of the documents they create
Don’t See What You’re Looking For?
We are always looking for creative people to join our growing team. Send resume and brief message using link below.Talk to us